Meditation is one of the best spiritual skills you can learn in life. Not only will it assist you in building relationships with spirits, guides and the divine, it will also contribute to greater health within your body, mind and soul. As promised in Podcast 15 – Building Magical Relationships, here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to meditate.
1) Either lay down on a comfortable surface or sit in a high-backed chair with arms that will fully support you as you completely relax.
2) Start by relaxing the body from your feet all the way to your head. Make sure to focus on tensing the muscles as much as you can, then releasing them and letting them flop down under their own gravity. This will assist your body in fully feeling the difference between tension and relaxation.
3) Now that the body is fully relaxed, start relaxing the mind using deep breaths. Take anywhere from 5-10 deep breaths. Make sure you’re breathing diaphragmatically (feel your belly rise and fall with each breath.) With each inhale, relax, and with each exhale release the tensions and troubles of the day. Exhale them out like blowing out the smoke of negativity.
4) Remain in mental quietude throughout the exercise. If you start to experience “mental chatter” like stray concerns or worries, simply acknowledge them and tell yourself “now is not the time, I’ll deal with that later.” Focus on the heaviness and relaxation in your entire body. If you ever start to tense up again, just focus on deep breathing and regaining that deep heaviness in your body.
5) If you choose to “pray” or communicate with a specific deity or entity, you can do so by picturing what you would like to discuss with them in your mind. Couple your mind pictures with the motivation and intent to communicate with that deity and the desire to know the answers to your questions. Then return to your meditative mental quietude and become receptive to any answers or inspirations.
6) Answers and inspirations will come either in the form of ideas in your mind, pictures in your mind, or feelings in your body like a warm fuzzy feeling (for a positive answer) or an empty nothingness (for a negative answer).Â Continue this back and forth dialogue as long as you feel in necessary.
7) When you are done with your meditation, express some gratitude to the spirit or guide you were communicating with and then start the process of “coming out” of the meditation. Take ten deep breaths, and with each breath feel your awareness returning to the physical room around you. Become aware of your body, wiggle your toes and fingers, stretch and when you are ready open your eyes.